Monday, May 6, 2013

Silicones in skincare (and scar reduction) are good, right?

Silicones in skincare (and scar reduction) are good, right?
BCcodes asks….I was under the impression that silicones in skincare (lotions, creams etc) were good because they help create a barrier for moisture. My facial moisturizer has a silicone, as does my body lotion (baby lotion – cheap and great for sensitive skin). I also use silicone sheeting for a hypertrophic scar from a surgery [...]

Post image for Silicones in skincare (and scar reduction) are good, right?

BCcodes asks….I was under the impression that silicones in skincare (lotions, creams etc) were good because they help create a barrier for moisture. My facial moisturizer has a silicone, as does my body lotion (baby lotion – cheap and great for sensitive skin). I also use silicone sheeting for a hypertrophic scar from a surgery a year and a half ago. I was watching a review of a silicone free face primer, and I got to googling. Silicones are being blamed for everything! I don’t use silicones in my hair products because I have dry hair and a sensitive scalp – shampoos with sulfates are not my cup of tea. I understand that over time, silicone can build up on hair if not properly removed, and since I do not use a harsh shampoo, I go without them. But I use a regular face cleanser and body wash, so I don’t see why using a face cream or body lotion with dimethicone would be a problem. Especially considering the scar healing functionality of silicone sheeting, wouldn’t silicones in skincare be a good thing?

The Beauty Brains respond:

Silicones have gotten a bad rap in hair care for a long time. It probably has something to do with the fact that Pantene has made such good use of them and we all know how much stylists love to bash Pantene! The idea that silicones build up on hair does make some sense (they’re certainly hard to wash off of laboratory glassware!) but we’ve never seen conclusive data showing that a “harsh” shampoo is required to remove them. Still the myth persists to the degree that many companies make a pretty penny by selling silicone-free conditioners.

It’s a different story when it comes to skin care. Silicone (specifically dimethicone) is an excellent occlusive agent which will help lock moisture in skin. In fact, it’s so good that it’s specified as an active drug ingredient in the Skin Protectant Monograph. In addition, silicone sheets are useful in scar reduction, partly for occlusion and partly for providing a “scaffolding” for tissue growth. But, we’ve never seen any data showing that silicone delivered from a lotion can help reduce scarring.

The Beauty Brains bottom line

Don’t be scared of silicones for hair or skin!

Image credit: http://fc02.deviantart.net/


Source: thebeautybrains.com

No comments:

Post a Comment