Friday, July 12, 2013

How can I remove coconut oil from my hair?

Laclave asks…I used coconut oil on my hair one time several weeks ago for its excellent ability to penetrate the hair. Initially, my hair was very greasy, but I was able to wash it a few times to remove the excess oil. Now, my husband still says my hair smells like coconut – several weeks [...]

Post image for How can I remove coconut oil from my hair?

Laclave asks…I used coconut oil on my hair one time several weeks ago for its excellent ability to penetrate the hair. Initially, my hair was very greasy, but I was able to wash it a few times to remove the excess oil. Now, my husband still says my hair smells like coconut – several weeks later. I wash my hair every day. Is the coconut oil penetration irreversible?

The Beauty Brains respond: 

Coconut oil is a great treatment for hair because it penetrates into the cortex (the inner part of the hair shaft ) where it protects the protein bundles from the effects of water induced swelling. But it does have a dark side – the coconutty aroma.  We don’t know of any sure fire way to get out the scent but here are a couple of approaches you could try.

Three ways to remove coconut oil from hair

  • Use a stronger shampoo: If you’re like most women you’re using a conditioning shampoo. Try using a more stripping deep cleansing shampoo like VO5 or Suave because they contain stronger detergents.
  • Try another oil: The chemical principle of “Like dissolves like” suggests that applying another oil to your hair might help displace the coconut oil. Olive oil would be a good option to try.
  • Increase hair porosity: This is a bit extreme, but if you make your hair more more porous with a chemical treatment, like a color or perm, the coconut oil may be able to escape more easily.

Of course if all else fails you could put a cherry in your hair, tuck a slice of pineapple behind your ear, and tell your husband you’re his personal Pina Colada. Or, you could just wait for your hair to grow out.

Image credit: http://farm8.staticflickr.com

Continue reading...

No comments:

Post a Comment