Friday, October 19, 2012

Color Glaze Confusion

Color Glaze Confusion
WhatTheWhat wants to know…I’ve read a couple of posts about John Frieda color glaze products on this website that more or less say – if I’ve understood correctly – that these products are just conditioners that don’t actually improve color. I thought the whole point of these glazes was that they contain a little semi-permanant [...]

WhatTheWhat wants to know…I’ve read a couple of posts about John Frieda color glaze products on this website that more or less say – if I’ve understood correctly – that these products are just conditioners that don’t actually improve color. I thought the whole point of these glazes was that they contain a little semi-permanant hair dye. Do they not contain dyes? I’ve been using the brunette glaze off and on for almost as long as I’ve been dying my hair brown, and my impression has been that I retain the brown color longer when I use the glaze. I also have a friend who used the jf red glaze (I think it has been discontinued) to enhance the bit of natural red in her hair. She says she quit using it because it added far more red than she wanted. I’ve also found that both the red and the brown glazes will stain skin if not scrubbed off right away. So to finally come to my question(s): Is there no dye or is there too little dye for the product to be effective? If there is no dye, what accounts for my friend’s and my perceptions that the glazes make a difference in color? And lastly: if not hair dye, what are they using that stains skin but doesn’t dye hair?

Right Brain responds:

Dear WTW:  We have been confused about this product in the past and for that I apologize. I think we initially got off on the wrong track because we found an ingredient list on Amazon.com that only listed conditioning ingredients with no dyes or pigments whatsoever. Then at some later point we wrote a post that focused on the conditioning properties of the product and didn’t really answer the question about haircoloring. So let me set the record straight right now by not only publishing the correct ingredient list but also showing you the results of a quick experiment that demonstrates what this product can really do.

How John Frieda Color Glaze works

As you can see from the ingredient list below this product does not contain any true oxidative hair dyes although it does contain a number of colorants like Iron Oxides and Orange 4. The difference is that true hair dyes can not only lighten your hair’s natural color but also impart “permanent” color that will stay in place until your hair grows out. The colorants in this product can only stain the surface of the hair creating a temporary color that will wash out after a few shampoos. Furthermore these stains can only darken haircolor they cannot lighten it. That means that red and brown shades can actually impart enough color to make a difference but it’s much more difficult with blonde shades because there aren’t many yellow staining materials.

Demonstration of staining

To demonstrate this point I took bleached brown hair and applied the brunette color glaze product per the usage directions. As you can see in the Before and After pictures below the hair tress does pick up a little dark brown color.  Depending on how dark brown your hair is you may or may not see much of a difference. You will however see the staining effect on your hands, as you pointed out.

The Beauty Brains bottom line

Frieda’s Color Glaze DOES contain enough colorants to temporarily tint some shades of hair.

John Frieda Color Glaze Ingredients

Water, Propylene Carbonate, Alcohol Denatured, Citric Acid, Cyclopentasiloxane, Xanthan Gum, Fragrance, Dimethiconol, Sodium Hydroxide, Mica, Iron Oxides, Orange 4, Ext D&C Violet 2 (CI 60730), Yellow 10, Titanium Dioxide, Malic Acid, Pearl Powder, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Propylene Glycol, Methylisothiazolinone, Theobroma Cacao (Cocoa) Extract (Cocoa)


Source: thebeautybrains.com

No comments:

Post a Comment