Monday, August 12, 2013

Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

Well, errr, I don’t own a farm but I’m calling this my homestead. No chickens. No cows. Just a cat and two evil squirrels that terrorize the property. As for growing food, I only have container gardens at a moment, but I’m already planning the space to start raised garden beds next spring. My entire [...]

The post Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead appeared first on Yum Yucky.

Well, errr, I don’t own a farm but I’m calling this my homestead.

No chickens. No cows. Just a cat and two evil squirrels that terrorize the property. As for growing food, I only have container gardens at a moment, but I’m already planning the space to start raised garden beds next spring. My entire outdoor space will be filled with homegrown food and beautiful-flowered surroundings. This is the beginning of it all. This is the birthing of my homestead!

First, me and Greedy Baby had to haul rocks. I did more squats moving these rocks than I would’ve done in two weeks of normal exercising. I can’t feel my legs right now.

rock haul Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

…and this is the result of all those rocks that we hauled. A beautiful new garden bed. Too bad we only finished one of the beds. We still have two more to do. Ugh.
garden bed Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

I took a whack at growing sunflowers this past spring. My sunflowers are now about 10-feet high.

sunflower garden Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

It’s amazing what big things can happen when you plant a small seed and nurture it. This goes for life-stuff, too.

sunflowers Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

The hubs and oldest gremlin-boy tore down the broken fence and put up a new one. We no longer have to deal with racoons and skunks lurking in our yard at night. One of our neighbors wants to set a trap for the raccoon and eat it. In an unrelated matter, please help me clean up this mess.

broken fence Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

This green bean container garden is coming along nicely. We also have a pumpkin growing. As for the baby blueberry bush that’s still in a pot, I gotta get that thing in the ground.

green bean container garden Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

I scan my garden for weeds a few times per week, but I never pull the clover because it’s edible. Good for snacking on. It really is tasty.

edible clover Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead

There ya have it, my friends. My homestead is taking shape! Finally also took my my pressure canner Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead out the box. Green beans will be the first thing I can.

I was thinking about how this blog has evolved from way back in 2009 when I was pretty much only posting reviews about packaged junk foods & frozen meals. YIKES! My quest to finding balance has led me to this place on the path where I not only want to be physically fit while noshing on whole, clean foods, but you may have noticed that I’m very much into natural health and wanting to live a life of self-sufficiency as much as possible. That’s what the homestead is all about!

If I ever buy a farm, you’ll be the first know. I’ll burpee all over the property to christen it properly. ((winks)) Hope you enjoyed the pics! XO

—-

Like me on Facebook

Follow me on Twitter

Subscribe to YumYucky on YouTube

The post Pictures from the Yum Yucky Homestead appeared first on Yum Yucky.

Here is the full post.

No comments:

Post a Comment